Thursday, June 30, 2016

いきいき(Iki-Iki or Lively) Toyama Marathon

While I'm excited to be participating in my first triathlon, I'm a little bummed out (寂しい) that I couldn't convince any of my English impact students to join me for the いきいきToyama Triathlon on Sunday, July 31.

I heard many excuses for not participating. "Who in their right mind would want to run 10 km after riding a bike for 40 km?," for one. "I swim like a rock" (石みたいな泳ぐ) for another.

I admit it won't be easy to swim 1.5 km, cycle 40 km and run 10 km one after the other without much of a rest. But I actually think the main reason nobody wanted to join me is because it costs a lot of money to do a triathlon.


                                    (Illustration by Robby Watson. See more of his awesome work on Instagram.)

I say this not because I'm a cheapskate (ケチな人) - I am a cheapskate, for sure - but because this is one of the most expensive one-day events I have ever participated in. Actually, I hope to finish it in under three and a half hours, but I'm sure I'll spend the rest of the day sleeping or lying in pain on the floor.

Just to enter the triathlon cost \21,000 ($204).  Then, since the rules state you can't ride a regular bike, I had to buy a new road bike for \43,266 ($421) and a helmet for \1,970 ($19). To make my ride a little easier, I added a water bottle holder for \1650 ($16) and a gel seat cover for \1980 ($19).

For the swimming event, I needed to buy goggles for \882 ($8) and six tickets to practice swimming at my local indoor pool for \2,600 ($25).

So that's already around \73,350 ($713) I have spent, and that's on the cheapskate's budget. There's a long list of things I don't plan to buy that some triathletes would consider foolish. I'm not going to buy a wetsuit or a trisuit. I refuse to buy cycling shoes or shorts or a bike computer.

I'm doing this triathlon to see if I have what it takes to finish all 51.5 km: strength, endurance, stamina and willpower. Oh, and a little money, too, I have saved up.

Wish me luck. And please start saving for next year's いきいきToyama Marathon so you can join me. With no money excuse.

John
www.englishimpact.com
Like me (いいね) on Facebook
Follow me on Twitter @Englishimpact

No comments:

Post a Comment